Dalby District Cemeteries HomeLiving HereCemeteriesWestern Downs CemeteriesDalby District Cemeteries Dalby Monumental Cemetery The cemetery was opened in 1871 and was under the control of a Board of Trustees until 1905 when, due to difficulties in finding citizens willing to be trustees, responsibility for the cemetery was passed to Dalby Town Council. Gravesites are generally arranged in rows and there are areas without any marked graves particularly in the northwest corner, large sections of the eastern part and also in between marked graves. There is a wide variety of grave ornaments reflecting funerary customs from the 1870s until 1980. Most graves are surrounded by a concrete border, some with decorative corner elements, and a covered with a plate; other grave surrounds include wrought iron fencing. Headstones include stelae in a variety of style, desk mounted tablets and a variety of crosses, some mounted on pedestals and tiered bases. The cemetery also includes some more elaborate monuments, including a stylised portal consisting of double Ionic fluted columns with ivy ornamentation supporting a decorative entablature with curved pediment. Based on historical research it is fair to assume that the cemetery contains a number of unmarked graves. Council continues to maintain the cemetery which has been closed to new interments since 31 December 1980. Council’s resolution is to honour only grave sites that have been previously reserved. The need to close the cemetery to new interments was hastened by rising maintenance costs, the difficulties experienced with the cemetery layout and the lack of certainty of the location of unmarked graves. A survey was completed to mark locations of graves but due to the portability of the grave markers the accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The Dalby Monumental Cemetery is no longer open for interments. Dalby Monumental Cemetery Map Dalby Lawn Cemetery – Myall Remembrance Park The Myall Remembrance Park was initiated as a project by the Lions Club of Dalby and is administered by Western Downs Regional Council. The lawn cemetery incorporates columbarium walls, a rose garden and the Garden of Remembrance for cremated remains. A dedicated children’s burial area was established in 1978. There is also the Lullaby Garden area, a small semicircle area offering a quiet contemplation area and memorialization for babies pre-term to 12 months, no remains are interred in this area. The addition to the Myall Remembrance Park Services Memorial Wall, or remembrance wall, in 2015, pays tribute to deceased members of Australian Armed Services. It provides an area to peacefully reflect and honour those who have served our country. The first interment in the lawn cemetery took place in 1967, with the first interments of ashes in the columbarium and the rose garden recorded as 1969 and 1978 respectively. It was not until 2015 that the Garden of Remembrance was used for the interment of ashes. The Myall Remembrance Park is open for interments. Myall Remembrance Park Map Jandowae Cemetery The current Jandowae Cemetery is not the first. The original cemetery was located in Market Street, only two blocks from the Church of England, the headstones and steel markers from the original cemetery were apparently removed and it is believed that developments have since been built on top of the site. As the town began to grow in the 1890’s, a new cemetery was proposed and it was surveyed in its current location, on the outskirts of Jandowae on the Old Rosevale Road in 1900. The earliest recorded burial was around 1900. The cemetery was under local trusteeship until 2009 when it was transferred to the Western Downs Regional Council for management. The cemetery has a monumental and lawn section with a columbarium wall for cremated ashes. There is a wide variety of grave ornaments reflecting funerary customs from the 1900’s until the present day. The graves are arranged in rows and most are surrounded by a concrete border and covered with a concrete plate. Other grave surrounds include wrought iron fencing and dressed stone borders. Headstones include mounted tablets, stelae and crosses. A lawn section is located in the north-eastern part of the cemetery and a columbarium wall is situated towards the centre. Close by is a memorial to the Rennick family, who arrived in Jandowae from Victoria in 1907, comprising a plaque and a bottle tree. The Jandowae Cemetery is open for interments. Jimbour Cemetery The Jimbour Cemetery has not been used since the early twentieth century. The earliest grave is listed as James Brown, who died on the 20th March 1857. The last internment appears to have been Richard Prtter who died on the 7th July, 1905. Many of Jimbour’s early settlers are buried there. The Wambo Shire Council and Jimbour Station undertook a joint project to restore the cemetery after it fell into disrepair. Jimbour Cemetery is located on a cleared grassed site in slightly sloping terrain in farmland on the southern side of Jimbour Station Road approximately one kilometre northeast of Jimbour. A boulder with a brass plaque reading ‘JIMBOUR • HISTORIC • CEMETERY’ is located at the turn-off from Jimbour Station Road. The cemetery borders onto commercial premises including work sheds to the east and Jimbour Station, listed on the Queensland Heritage Register, is situated around 750 metres to the east. The names of the people buried in the cemetery including their age and date of death are listed on brass plaques attached at the front. Inside the fenced area are a number of marked graves the majority identified by a headstone only, although some gravesites are surrounded by rounded concrete borders and wrought iron fencing. Headstones feature stelae of a variety of shapes and sizes. It is fair to assume that the cemetery might contain a number of unmarked graves. Jimbour Cemetery is a privately run cemetery. For further information contact: Mr Neville Ronnfeld – (07) 4663 9743 Mr Karl Graham (Jimbour Station) – (07) 4663 6198 or 0407 763 547 Warra Cemetery The Warra Cemetery, established in 1901, is managed by a trustee committee. In 2007, the old wooden post and rail fence was replaced with a new steel front fence and the ornate entrance archway and gate was restored and erected by local farmers. Many of the grave sites are bordered by low concrete edges and have lowset concrete headstones or simple crosses. Some of the graves feature wrought iron fencing and there are a small number of monumental headstones including angels and columns. It can be reasonably assumed that there are unmarked graves in the historic cemetery. A hexagonal gazebo is located in the centre of the cemetery which provides seating and also houses a columbarium. For further information contact: Mrs Desley Wolski – (07) 4668 1150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Alternatively, anyone requiring assistance with genealogy research in the Warra Cemetery may utilise the services of local resident Anne Wunsch: c/- Post Office Warra QLD 4411 email@example.com www.obituaryresearchservice.com.au Bell Cemetery The Bell Cemetery was opened sometime after 1906, when the town of Bell was founded. The earliest headstone appears to be 1911, although some of the inscriptions are illegible. The ornate cast iron entrance gates were donated by Mrs M. Byrne of Victoria. In 1999, the Bell and District Progress Association raised money and built the brick columbarium at the cemetery. The graves are predominantly arranged in rows, the majority located on the eastern side of the path traversing in north-south direction. There is a variety of grave ornaments reflecting funerary customs from early 1900s until the present day. Most burials are surrounded by a concrete border and covered with a concrete plate, some decorated with tiles. Other grave surrounds include dressed stone and wrought iron fencing. There is a variety of headstones and ornaments including mounted tablets, stelae and crosses. Bell Cemetery is a privately run cemetery. For further information contact the trustees: Mr Darryl Knight – (07) 4663 1276 Mr Col Bradley – (07) 4663 1334 or 0427 130 140 Cumkillenbar/Kaimkillenbun Cemetery The Cumkillenbar/Kaimkillenbun Cemetery was originally situated behind the Cumkillenbah Station Homestead which was demolished many years ago. A plaque located inside the cemetery gate records the names of all those known to be buried in the cemetery between 1861 and its closure in 1957.