During 2021/22 the Western Downs experienced an unprecedented period of frequent high rainfall and multiple flood events across the region. Whilst this much-needed rainfall has provided great moisture profiles in the soil for cropping and replenished water in our dams, it has caused significant damage on our large road network.
Council is currently delivering the largest flood damage restoration package in Queensland to ensure our roads are safe and well maintained. This currently stands at $156 million of permanent restoration works to complete by mid 2024, weather permitting.
The delivery of this package firstly involved a comprehensive road assessment to capture the extent of the damage.
Since November 2021, a significant amount of temporary emergency repairs has also been completed. These temporary repairs ensure the impacted roads can be restored to a safe standard as soon as possible. At the same time, Council is planning and scheduling more permanent reconstruction works in these locations, which also takes into consideration the site conditions and the standard of resources required to complete the permanent reconstruction.
Council has proactively liaised with experienced civil contractors and have fast-tracked the first rounds of flood damage restoration works.
$17 million of flood damage restoration works have been awarded, with contractors working across the region to deliver these packages.
The works involve desilting and repair of drainage structures, gravel re-sheeting, formation grading, shoulder regrading, replacing culverts, and pavement repairs.
The below map details the extent of the 2021/22 flood damage, as highlighted in blue.
Western Downs has released two rounds of flood damage restoration work packages. Each round consists of multiple flood damage works packages spread across the region.
You can find out more details on what roads are being repaired in the awarded work packages below:
- Package 1 - Wooleebee / Guluguba area Map(PDF, 537KB) - Delivered between December 2022 and March 2023
- Package 2 - Gurulmundi area Map(PDF, 323KB) - Delivered between February and April 2023
- Package 3 - Kragra / Cadarga / Monogorilby area Map(PDF, 468KB) - Delivered between February and April 2023
- Package 4 - Meandarra area Map(PDF, 325KB) - Delivered between February and May 2023
- Package 5 - Glenmorgan area Map(PDF, 240KB) - Delivered between March and May 2023
- Package 6 - Flinton / Westmar / Southwood area Map(PDF, 361KB) - Delivered between February and May 2023
- Package 7 - Bungaban area Map(PDF, 206KB) - Delivered between February and March 2023
Further works packages will be rolled out over coming months.
Council continues to face significant restraints in delivering this substantial package, particularly in relation to securing experienced civil contractors and locally sourced gravel to complete the works. If you are a civil construction contractor interested in assisting, please contact Council to complete an Expression of Interest.
Preparing for future flood events
- We encourage you to be prepared by following our five steps for preparing for emergencies Be Prepared
- During a disaster we will provide information on our Disaster Dashboard