Construction involving plumbing and drainage work is regulated within the requirements of the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018, Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019, Codes and Standards.

Construction that incorporates water supply work, sanitary plumbing and drainage work are assessable under this Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018 which enables Council to ensure the work is carried out to protect public health and to provide protection to Council's infrastructure.

Council's Building and Plumbing Department role is to ensure that Plumbing and Drainage Work is safe, functional and abides by legislative requirements including the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018 and Regulation.

Plumbing works under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018, will be categorised as one of the types of plumbing works listed below.

Permit Works

Permit works are a type of plumbing works that requires a Licensed Plumber to perform. Permit works require a Compliance Permit from Council as the assessing authority and plumbing inspections undertaken by Council's Plumbing Inspector.

Notifiable Work

Notifiable works is a category of plumbing works that requires a Licensed Plumber to undertake but does not require Council approval or inspections.  However, notifiable works do require that Form 4 (Notifiable Work) is lodged with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission by the Licensed Plumber.

Minor Work

Minor work like notifiable building works needs to be completed by a registered Plumber but does not require the Licensed Plumber to notify Council or the Queensland Building and Construction Commission of the works.

Unregulated Work

Unregulated work is plumbing works of a minor nature that can be performed by an unlicensed person without any approval requirements.

For further information on the types of plumbing works, please refer to the Queensland Building and Construction Commision (QBCC) website.   

Additional Information

On-Site Sewerage Facility

For properties that are not connected to Council’s reticulated sewerage system, the treatment and disposal of wastewater must be provided by an on-site sewerage facility.

If not properly sited and maintained, on-site sewerage facilities pose a significant risk to public health, amenity and the environment.  For this reason, anyone installing or replacing an on-site sewerage facility must report to Council, all servicing and maintenance activities.

Servicing of On Site Sewerage Treatment Facilities is required quarterly and service reports are to be lodged to Council by the  servicing Plumber/Plumbing company.

There are a number of different types of on-site sewerage facilities available, including:

  • conventional domestic sewage treatment plants (secondary treatment or better);
  • septic tanks (primary treatment);
  • composting systems (dry vault and wet systems);  and
  • aerated wastewater sewage treatment plants.

It is recommended that a qualified Wastewater Designer be engaged to assess the type of on-site sewerage facility that best suits your property.  It is also recommended that you be present at the inspection of the property by your Qualified Wastewater Designer, to discuss the design and location of your proposed system, as they will not be aware of your future plans for the development on the property.

It is also important to check that the type of on-site facility has been given approval by the Queensland State Government.  If the facility does not have approval, it cannot be installed in Queensland.

Backflow Prevention Devices

Backflow occurs when a water supply system experiences back-siphonage or back-pressure.  A backflow prevention device will eliminate any risk of contamination of the drinking water supply associated with the property caused by backflow events.  

The following types of developments are typically required to have a backflow prevention device installed:

  • motels and unit complexes
  • hotels
  • vehicle repair workshops
  • shops
  • restaurants
  • caravan parks
  • medical and dental surgeries
  • car and plant washing facilities
  • dry cleaners and laundries
  • hospitals and funeral parlours
  • club houses for sports
  • schools
  • day care centres and kindergartens
  • pest control and water carrying vehicles
  • botanic gardens

Backflow Prevention Devices come in the form of either testable or non-testable devices, dependent on the level of risk associated with the potential contamination.  Under the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019, testable backflow prevention devices are required to be registered with Council.

Council receives a copy of the Form 9 "Report on inspection and testing of backflow prevention devices, registered air gaps and registered break tanks" from a Licensed Plumber engaged to install the backflow prevention device which is then recorded within Council's Backflow Prevention Device Register.

Servicing of these devices is required annually, service reports are to be lodged to Council by the servicing Plumber/Plumbing Company. 

Council is required to conduct inspections of backflow prevention devices on an annual basis which requires the payment of an annual fee. 

Accessing Drainage Plans

Council's Drainage Plans illustrate the location of Council's inground sewer infrastructure and location of private sanitary drains on the property. It is advised that Drainage Plans are only available for properties located in urban areas that are serviced by Council's reticulated sewer network.

You can request a Drainage Plan for a property from Council free of charge. You do not need to be the owner of the property or provide written consent from the owner to request a copy of the Drainage Plan.

To obtain a copy of the Drainage Plan for a property, please ensure that you have the current address for the property or ideally the real property description (Lot and Plan description) of the property. You can obtain a copy of Drainage Plans from Council by attending a Council Office requesting a copy of the drainage plan for the property, by sending an email to, or via telephone (07) 4679 4000.