During a Disaster
In the event of a disaster or emergency, you need to stay calm, follow your prepared emergency plans and, if possible, tune into a local ABC or commercial radio station to stay informed and follow instructions from authorities promptly.
Make sure you remember to:
- Never enter flood waters. This means on foot, rubber dingy, body board or in your vehicle. If it’s flooded – forget it. Flood waters include roads, causeways and creeks, etc.
- Check weather updates and if local roads are closed.
- Check on neighbours and people who may need your assistance.
- Think about the needs of your animals (pets) and where you will take them.
- check that your drinking water is not contaminated.
Evacuation is the planned movement of people from an unsafe or potentially unsafe location to a safer location. They will be returned once the emergency is passed. When evacuations are necessary, you will be told through the media or by other warning methods.
For SES emergency assistance, Contact SES 132 500 from anywhere in Queensland for non-life threatening flood and storm emergency assistance during severe weather events. If the situation is life threatening, always call Triple Zero (000).
To report a Council-related incident or emergency, call 1300 COUNCIL (1300 268 624).
- The Western Downs Disaster Dashboard provides all the latest information on current disasters including emergency news along with road closure notifications. View the Disaster Dashboard.
- Local radio and TV stations have warnings, updates and community safety announcements.
- You may receive emergency alert voice messages to your landline and/or text messages to your mobile telephone.
- Emergency services personnel may door-knock your local area to pass on warnings.
- Bureau of Meteorology for weather warnings.
- Queensland Disaster Management website for information on disaster events.
- Council’s website for local emergency information including details of evacuation centres and road closures.
- Like Council’s Facebook page for updates
Local Road Closures
The Western Downs Disaster Dashboard provides all the latest information on current disasters including emergency news along with road closure notifications.
View the Disaster Dashboard.
Queensland Road Closures
131 940 aims to be a one stop shop for traveler in Queensland where they can find accurate and up-to-date information on road closures. To view road closures Queensland-wide, visit www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au.