Food Businesses


Applying for a Food Business Licence

Please use these forms to apply for a Food Business Licence, or amend an existing licence:


Information for Temporary Food Stalls

Temporary food stalls can pose a higher risk to food safety due to their temporary nature and lack of permanent storage, refrigeration and heating facilities.


Issues to Consider

The main issues to consider are: 

  • Temperature control of potentially hazardous foods 

  • Cold display 5°C or below 

  • Hot display/pie warmer 60°C or above 

  • Having separate money and food handlers 

  • Access to hand washing facilities, soap and paper towel

  • Protecting food from contamination 

When operating temporary food stalls, there are a set of minimum standards that must be maintained. View the artist's impression below for further guidance:

Minimum Standards Artist's Impression(PDF, 584KB)

Apply for a Temporary Food Stall


Information for Non Profit Groups

Council recognises the varied and valuable work non-profit organisations do in providing or selling food for charitable purposes. To help make sure these organisations can continue their valuable work in the community, their role has been recognised in food legislation, namely the Food Act 2006 (the Act). 

What is a non profit organisation?

Under the Act a non-profit organisation is defined as an organisation that is not carried on for the profit or gain of individual members. The organisation is engaged in activities for a charitable, cultural, educational, political, social welfare, sporting or recreational purpose. It is important to note that, a non-profit organisation is still considered a food business under the Act. 


Do non profit organisations need a food business licence?

A non-profit organisation does not require a food business licence unless they are selling meals on twelve or more occasions per financial year; otherwise they are generally classified as exempt from licensing under the Act. 

Examples of exempt food handling activities include: 

  • BBQ (sausage sizzle, steak, bacon & egg burgers) 

  • An annual school fete or markets 

  • Cake and biscuit stalls 

  • Snow cones 

  • Chocolate, lamington or pie drives 

  • Raffles 

A sporting club that also operates a restaurant to raise money for the club does require a food business licence. 

Non Profit Group Notification form

Please use this form to notify Council of a non profit temporary premises, there is no application fee for non profit groups however if the application fee is received within 10 days of the event a late assessment fee may be applied:

Application for Temporary Food Stall and Non Profit Group Notification Form(PDF, 332KB)

Click here to Complete Non Profit Group Notification online



Information about Donating Food

Food that is prepared in the home and is then given away to a non-profit organisation is exempt from requiring a food business licence, for example baking a cake at home to give to a school for sale at a school fete. Nevertheless the person making the food still has a duty to provide safe food. 

What are my obligations when donating food?

Even though a food business licence may not be required, you have a responsibility to ensure the sale of safe and suitable food, and an obligation to comply with the Act and Food Safety Standards. 

What safe food handling practices do I need to consider?

What are the main issues to consider?

  • Temperature control of potentially hazardous foods 

  • Cold display 5°C or below 

  • Hot display/pie warmer 60°C or above 

  • Having separate money and food handlers 

  • Access to hand washing facilities, soap and paper towel 

  • Protecting food from contamination 

* Potentially Hazardous Foods, contain meat or dairy products. 

This artist's impression of a Food Stall can also provide guidance on food safety minimum standards.

View the Artist's Impression(PDF, 584KB)

Do I need to label the food?

Do I need to label the food? 

Queensland Health regulates food labelling legislation and can provide specific advice for labelling requirement, including donated foods. 

Where can I get further information?

Where can I get further information?

A good source of information is Queensland Health’s Food Safety for Fundraising Events booklet. This booklet has been produced to assist charities and community organisations meet their legal obligations under the food safety laws. 

The temporary food stall equipment checklist is useful guide to ensure all aspects of safe food handling have been considered. 

For more information about food safety for non-profit organisations please contact the Environmental Health Services of Western Downs Regional Council.