Chinchilla: Cultural Precinct
- Project typeCultural Centre
- Project scheduleWorks Complete
- Completion Date08 December 2023
Western Downs Regional Council has delivered a revitalisation of the Chinchilla Cultural Precinct to create a modern, vibrant and welcoming community hub for residents and visitors to enjoy.
The Chinchilla Cultural Centre is home to several important community facilities including the Customer Contact Centre, Library, Cinema, Cultural Centre and Lapunyah Art Gallery.
This upgrade is one of several major projects fast-tracked under Council's COVID-19 Recovery Package to secure and create jobs and boost the liveability of the Western Downs.
The project has re-energized the popular community hub and drive future economic growth while supporting the current needs of the community.
- Revitalised and modernised cinema entry and office
- Reinvigorated library, with open and welcoming entryway and seating, as well as multimedia area, computer room and reading courtyard
- Revitalised art gallery with a whole new layout and refreshed look and feel, as well as new communal workshop activity areas
- Beautiful street arbours and 'bush houses'
- New communal workshop for community activities
- New walkway, seating, landscaping
- Grass amphitheatre and sitting terraces
- Enhanced lighting
- New signage and wayfinding
Project Status: Works Complete
- A detailed design finalised to ready the project for construction. The project to progress through the tender process for construction.
- Tender closed for review
- Contract of works in process of negotiation
- Joint venture between New State Builders and DEMEX PTY LTD awarded contract for works
- Works to commence start of December 2022
- Works completed December 2023
October 2023 - November 2023
- Steel structures and walkways under construction
- Final fit-out for Library
- Final fit-out for Lapunyah Art Gallery
- Final fit-out for Cinema
- Relocation of tenants back to premise in November
- Landscaping underway
July 2023 - September 2023
- Wall and ceiling sheeting in the library
- Cabinetry installed in Art Gallery, Library and Cinema Candy Bar
- Raised structure in front of the auditorium entry and Art Gallery underway
- Painting throughout all buildings
- Concrete pathways complete
May 2023 - June 2023
- Auditorium entry concrete and glazing
- Raised roof in Library
- Art Gallery wall and ceiling sheeting
- Hang and set plasterboard throughout all building
December 2022 - April 2023
- Demolition works complete
- Partitions complete in the Art Gallery
- Block work for Auditorium and Library entrances complete
- Mechanical works commenced
20 January 2022 - Funding Partnership announced and designs unveiled
Council secured $6.9 million under the Federal Government's Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program to deliver the project.
This project is funded by the Australian Governments Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program and Western Downs Regional Council.
Media Release: Revitalised cultural precinct to boost Chinchilla's vibrant community Western Downs Regional Council (wdrc.qld.gov.au)
80-86 Heeney Street, Chinchilla 4413 View Map