Development Engineering

Development Engineering

Your development may require infrastructure such as Stormwater Drainage, water supply, sewerage and roadworks. Our Development Engineering team ensures this infrastructure is constructed to the standard required by the Western Downs Regional Council.

What is Operational Work?

 As defined in Planning Act 2016, Operational Work refers to work other than Building Work or Plumbing or Drainage work, that affects the premises or the use of the premises.

When do you need an approval?

To construct new infrastructure, modify existing infrastructure or to carry out earthworks, you may need to apply for an Operational Work Permit. Development Approval for Operational Work is required when the proposed work is;

  1. a conditional requirement as a result of a Planning Approval and/or;
  2. work that is not covered under ‘Minor Operational Work’ (see page 34 in the WDRC Planning Scheme Schedule 1 – Definitions).

Our Development Manual, contained in the WDRC Planning Scheme and Standard Drawings provide the basis for Council’s assessment of Operational Works applications. Our Development Engineering team is also responsible for managing the relationship between development and potential flood and stormwater, to ensure our community and their properties are safe during flood and stormwater events.

Schedule 6 – Development Manual

Standard Drawings


Driveways generally do not require Operational Work approval. However, if a driveway is proposed to access a road maintained by the Council and is not approved as part of a previous Operational Works approval, an application must be submitted to Council’s ‘Infrastructure Services’ department. Contact Council today to find out if your new driveway requires an approval.

There may also be requirements to conduct work in a Council road reserve, as well as for work related to vehicle access to a state-controlled road. An approval from the Department of Transport and Main Roads will be required if the new driveway is to gain access to a state-controlled road (main road).

 How to Apply

 A development application for Operational Works approval must be accompanied by;

  • Application Form/s
  • Engineering drawings certified by a suitably qualified Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland
  • Speciality engineering reports (if applicable) certified by a suitably qualified Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland
  • Correct application fee. The required application fee is calculated under our Fees and Charges.

In addition to the items listed above, please check the following list to ensure a well-made Operational Work application is submitted;

  • Check the conditions of the relevant Planning Approval (if applicable)
  • Include any previous correspondences from Council on proposed works
  • Ensure that correct contact details are included in forms (address, email, telephone number)
  • Attach drawings and/or Engineering reports (if applicable) are certified by a suitably qualified RPEQ

Contact Council for further assistance in submitting your Operational Works application.

Signs (Advertising Devices)

Some types of signs (advertising devices) are covered under ‘Minor Operational Work’ (see page 34 in the WDRC Planning Scheme Schedule 1 – Definitions) and therefore do not require Operational Works approval. In all other circumstances, advertising devices are considered to be code assessable Operational Works under the Western Downs Planning Scheme 2017. Contact Council today to find out more.