Civil Works

Road Drainage and Works


Emergency or dangerous situations should be reported immediately by calling the Council office or Council’s after hours number so that the matter can be attended to promptly.

Roads and Streets

Council maintains 2,287km of sealed and 5,578km of unsealed urban and rural roads in the region. Within Western Downs Regional Council, Main Roads maintains 1,710km of sealed and 66km of unsealed roads. The major operations in maintaining these roads include bitumen patching, pavement repair, grading and slashing. Council is also responsible for roadside facilities including street lighting, signs and line marking, footpaths, kerbing and stormwater drains.

Residents and motorists can assist in maintaining this vast network by advising Council of any road hazard that requires action by the Council.

Construction work is undertaken on a priority basis, with the Council adopting forward program of works. Construction projects are prioritised by a ranking system based on criteria such as traffic volumes, network linkages, safety environment, asset condition, school bus route, freight route for primary production, tourist route, amenity, image and expectations. The program can be affected by outside influences such as disasters / emergencies, individual road failures, significant external contributions, increased industry or development activity in a particular area.

Work on any part of the road reserve cannot be undertaken without the prior approval of Council. Permission is required for grazing of animals, discharging of stormwater and depositing or display of goods, mobile vending and stalls. Permits are required for grids or gates or underline pipelines within road reserves. Application must be made to Council prior to undertaking any of these activities. Some applications require a fee to be lodged.

Driveways/Property Accesses

Council has standards for construction and it is particularly important that an access does not block a stormwater drainage flowpath or create a hazard for traffic or pedestrians. Any construction on a road reserve (including streets) requires Council permission. Permission can be sought by writing to Council advising of the details of the proposed construction. Responsibility rests with the owner or occupier of a property to repair and maintain the approved invert crossing or concrete structure granting access to the property. Council may carry out repairs to the property access within the road reserve if requested by the property owner. The cost of these repairs is the responsibility of the property owner.


Council encourages property owners to mow the grass on the footpath in front of their property. Council will permit the planting of a tree or shrub on the footpath, provided it does not interfere with services under the ground and power lines above, or restrict pedestrian movement, or create a traffic hazard. Any other planting or construction on the footpath requires the permission of Council. Permission can be sought by writing to Council advising of the details. Any damage or hazard that is noticed on a footpath should be brought to Council’s attention.


It is a requirement of Council’s Local Law for Roads that all properties on which a residence is located display their road or street number. It is important for many reasons that a property is able to be identified. All residential properties in the region are identified by a road/street number, on a road or street in a particular locality. Council allocates an address number to all dwellings. Council has a standard rural address number post which can be installed by Council. Please lodge a Rural Road Addressing Form with Council.


Street lights ensure the safety and security of road users and residents. Council pays Ergon Energy to have street lights operating. Please advise Council or Ergon Energy of any street lights that are not operating.


Gravel Pits and Extractive Industries

Gravel extraction activities require town planning approval and operations exceeding 5,000 tonne per year also require approval under the Environmental Protection Act 1994.

Council has prepared a Gravel Supply Information Sheet for landholders interested in supplying gravel from their properties to Council, industry and commercial Users.

Gravel Supply Information Fact Sheet