Building and Plumbing

Building Applications

Unless prescribed as exempt or self assessable development under the Building Regulation 2006 a building development application is required to be submitted to a building certifier for building work including:

  • additions
  • demolitions
  • outbuildings
  • repair work
  • moving or demolishing a building
  • swimming pools
  • units
  • retaining walls over 1m in height
  • underpinning
  • change of classification
  • tenancy fit-outs; and
  • commercial buildings

To check if the building work is assessable development, contact Council on 1300 268 624.

Additionally, any work undertaken to support land for the above building work or which may adversely affect the stability of a building or structure on the land or adjoining land also requires a building development application. See below for further application requirements.

Building Approval

Council provides a full building certification service for the approval and inspection of all types and classes of buildings, including:

  • commercial
  • industrial
  • residential units
  • dwellings
  • alterations and additions
  • sheds
  • swimming pools

Council has fully licensed and experienced Building Certifiers located at the Dalby and Chinchilla Customer Service Centres, who are available to provide design and pre-lodgement advise upon request. An inspection service for the issue of Swimming Pool Safety Certificates is also provided.

Assistance in completing the necessary building applications forms will be provided by the building administration staff if required.

Further information is available on 1300 COUNCIL (1300 268 624).


Swimming Pool Fence Safety

All Queensland swimming pools are required to meet the single swimming pool barrier standard. It is the responsibility of all pool owners to ensure their pools comply with the standard. Find out more on the QBCC website…

Does your pool fence measure up?



Unless plumbing and drainage work is prescribed as unregulated or minor work under the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003, it is regulated work and requires plumbing and drainage approval through Council.

All regulated plumbing and drainage work is assessed under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002. Projects that incorporate water supply work, sanitary plumbing and drainage work are assessable under this Act which enables Council to ensure the work is carried out to protect public health and provide protection to Council’s infrastructure.

Regulated and minor work is to be carried out by a licensed plumber and/or drainer and in most cases they will apply for the required approvals.

To check if the plumbing and drainage work is regulated work, contact Council on 1300 268 624.

Fees and Charges

For a full list of fees related to building and plumbing, please refer to Council’s Fees and Charges Register.

For further enquiries regarding building, plumbing and drainage issues, contact Council on 1300 COUNCIL (1300 268 624).

Application To Commence Work

An application to commence building or plumbing work usually consists of the appropriate application forms, plans, reports and the relevant application fee.

Once the relevant information is collated, you may lodge these details together with the application fees to the relevant Council Customer Service Centre as follows:

  • If you are lodging an application within the former Dalby Town and Wambo Shire Local Government Area, then the application should be lodged at the Customer Service Centre at 30 Marble Street, Dalby.
  • If you are lodging an application within the former Tara, Chinchilla, Murilla or Div2 Taroom Shire Local Government Area, then the application should be lodged at the Customer Service Centres located in the offices of the relevant customer service areas.

Please refer to the Department of State Development, Infrastructure and Planning’s website for development application forms and guidelines

Making an Application

In some cases it may be necessary to obtain other approvals prior to processing the application. If town planning consent or Queensland Fire and Rescue Services referral advice is required, this must be received before the development permit for building work can be issued.

A checklist must be lodged with your application, as it forms part of the development application. The applicant must complete the checklist to indicate documents submitted, inspections requested and service connections.

It is recommended that a copy of the household drainage plan is obtained from Council before any building work is commenced.

It should be noted that when a property search is requested as part of a property settlement, Council conducts an on-site inspection. This inspection identifies any structures that do not have the necessary approvals. This information is then passed on to the purchaser, or conveyancing agent acting for the purchaser, and the current owner.

QBCC Insurance Confirmation Letter

A ‘Letter of Confirmation’ from the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) confirming that the appropriate insurance premium has been paid will need to be submitted with your development application in the following circumstance:

  • A QBCC contract has been signed for a licensed builder to carry out building work over $3,300.00 in value (Swimming Pools and other uninsurable works do not require QBCC Insurance).

Please contact Queensland Building and Construction Commission for further information regarding fees and methods of payment on 139 333.

QBCC Owner/Builders Number or Certificate

An owner can carry out building work providing the following complies:

  • The value of the work is less than $11 000.00, unless an owner builder permit has been obtained
  • The property is registered in their name or they have a legal interest in the land
  • Building work is carried out by them and not contracted to another person unless under an owner builder permit.

Building work undertaken by an owner builder over $11,000.00 in value requires an owner builder permit. The number and an owner builder certificate (to be issued by Queensland Building and Construction Commission) is to be provided prior to the issuing of the approval.

Please contact Queensland Building and Construction Commission for further information regarding fees and methods of Payment on 139 333.

QLeave Form

A QLeave form is required to be submitted with your development application when portable long service levy is required to be paid. Portable long service levy is required to be paid when building work is over $150,000.00 in value. Portable long service levy fees must be paid at Australia Post. Forms are available from most of the Customer Service Centres, however the fees must be paid by the applicant at an Australia Post office. Read about changes that came into effect on 1 July 2014…

Energy Efficiency Assessment Report

Development applications for new dwellings or additions to dwellings that include habitable rooms require an energy efficiency assessment report to be submitted. The energy efficiency assessment must reach a rating of 6 stars or more.

Energy efficiency assessment can be undertaken by your designer, or by a registered competent person.

Soil Assessment Report

Some development applications require soil assessment reports to be submitted. This report will need to be conducted by a registered competent person qualified to prepare soil assessment reports.

Footing & Slab Detail and Footing & Slab Design Certificate

Some development applications require footing and slab details, and footing & slab design certificates to be submitted. These certificates need to be prepared by a registered competent person qualified in this area.

Architectural Plans

Development applications require building plans to be submitted. Building plans are required to show full construction details, including method of termite protection, roof drainage, floor and ceiling heights, member sizes and spans.

Site Plan

All development applications require a site plan to be submitted.

A site plan must show the location of all structures on the property. The following details must be shown on the site plan:

  • Location of the proposed structure. (External walls should be in heavy line and eaves marked with a dashed line).
  • Setbacks from boundaries. These distances should always be to the outermost projection of the structure (fascia).
  • Any existing buildings should be clearly marked.
  • Property description (lot & registered plan number).
  • Location of the road and street name.
  • Location and dimensions of any easements.
  • Total floor area of proposed structure.
  • Site coverage (total area of all structures on the property).
  • Scale of plans.
  • Contours of the property (generally every 0.5m).
  • Building platform level and finished floor level (for dwellings).
  • Positions where the heights of retaining walls vary.
  • Driveway location and grade (where it meets the road).
  • Location of swimming pool fences, gates and filtration equipment (including pipelines).
  • Location of sewerage lines, septic trenches and effluent disposal areas.
  • Extent of paving and concrete paths.
  • Size and location of downpipes and methods of disposal.
  • Location of trees and other obstacles, located outside the boundary of the property in Council’s reserve.

It may be more convenient to lodge your application at a Customer Service Centre other than the area centre nominated above and all Western Downs Regional Council Customer Service Centres can accept your application if it is expedient to do so.