Council wishes to advise that mosquito spraying will be conducted in public spaces in parts of the region on Tuesday 13 February and Wednesday 14 February. Efforts are being made to schedule spraying in other areas, and residents are asked to avoid approaching contractors vehicles while they are in operation.
Council crews have also been applying larvicide to known breeding areas to help prevent large mosquito populations emerging.
Mosquitos can transmit harmful diseases, and residents are advised that there are a number of actions they can take to protect themselves, including:
- Covering up with loose, long sleeved clothing and shoes
- Limiting outdoor activities when mosquitoes are most active
- Using a high quality insect repellent
- Ensuring screens on windows and doors are closed
- Removing standing water on properties to prevent mosquito breeding, wherever possible, and ensuring screens on water tanks are intact
For more information please contact 1300 COUNCIL.