In the years 1939/40, the Chinchilla Shire Council purchased a block of land two kilometres northeast of the town for a new cemetery, surveyed to accommodate areas for different religions. The Chinchilla Monumental Cemetery was officially opened in March 1941.
At the entrance to the Catholic section of the cemetery, green double steel gates were erected, in memory of Nurse Hannah Fitzgerald, the first person interred in the Catholic Section. A plaque is attached to the gates framework stating “These gates erected in memory of Nurse Hannah Fitzgerald. 1861-1943”. A small section adjacent to the gate and extending along the boundary is delineated by a metal post and chain fence, a metal plaque placed by the Chinchilla Shire Council informs that this section is believed to be the burial ground of the early settlers of the Mizpah district and states their names.
The graves in the cemetery are arranged in rows the vast majority, marked by a variety of monumental memorials, some with ornamental corner elements and covered with a concrete plate, some decorated with tiles, granite slabs or gravel. Headstones include mounted tablets, stelae, and crosses, including some timber crosses.
A columbarium wall was built on the right-hand side of the main gates to this cemetery and provides 80 niches for the interment of ashes. A second, complimentary columbarium wall was later constructed to the left-hand side of the gates, containing an additional 80 niches.
The Chinchilla Monumental Cemetery is open for interments.
Chinchilla Monumental Cemetery Map(PDF, 99KB)