Tara District Cemeteries

Tara Cemetery

Tara Cemetery was established in c1913 and contains two columbarium walls, a lawn section, and a monumental section which is divided into denominational sections.

The earliest burial inscription found is 1914. There is a wide variety of grave ornaments reflecting funerary customs from 1914 until the present day. Grave decorations include concrete surrounds, some with ornate elements, plates, some with tiles and gravel and wrought iron fencing. There is a variety of headstones including desk mounted tablets, stelae, crosses, some on a tiered base and some more elaborate monuments. There is a large number of timer crosses predominantly identifying otherwise unmarked gravesites.

The Tara Cemetery is open for interments.

Meandarra Cemetery

Meandarra Cemetery was established around 1927. It is a monumental cemetery which is divided into denominational sections and contains a columbarium wall. It is fair to assume that the cemetery contains a number of unmarked graves.

There is a variety of grave ornaments reflecting funerary customs from 1927 until the present day. Grave decorations include concrete surrounds, some with ornate elements, plates, some with tiles and gravel. There is a variety of headstones including desk mounted tablets, stelae, crosses, some on a tiered base. There is a large number of timer crosses predominantly identifying otherwise unmarked gravesites.

The Meandarra Cemetery is open for interments.

The Gums Cemetery

The Gums Cemetery was established around 1905. This is a monumental cemetery and it is not divided into denominational sections.

A variety of grave ornaments are in evidence with decorations including concrete surrounds, plates, tiles and gravel. Headstones include desk mounted tablets, stelae, crosses, some on a tiered base.

The Gums Cemetery is open for interments.

Moonie Cemetery

Established around 2000, Moonie Cemetery is a lawn cemetery and is not separated into denominations.

The Moonie Cemetery is open for interments.

Flinton Cemetery

The cemetery is located in the grounds of the Catholic Church, however, burial of any denomination is accepted. The first burial recorded was in 1958.

The Flinton Cemetery is open for interments.