Miles District Cemeteries HomeLiving HereCemeteriesWestern Downs CemeteriesMiles District Cemeteries Dogwood Cemetery This small cemetery is the earliest identifiable cemetery in Miles. It is pleasantly located on the flood banks of Dogwood Creek. The site is significant in that it was reasonably close to the first settlement area of Miles. It was used from the late 1870’s with several pioneering families of the region are interred in this cemetery. The Dogwood Creek Cemetery was abandoned in the 1910’s because of continual flooding but its last burial, which was for William Pitt, took place in August 1943 so that Pitt could be buried near his family. The cemetery lies on the eastern bank of Dogwood Creek with access via the Dogwood Creek Walking-track. A number of graves are surrounded by concrete borders and wrought iron fencing while other sites are identified by a headstone only. Headstones include desk mounted tablets, stelae and a number of crosses, most mounted on a tiered base. The Dogwood Cemetery is no longer open for interments. Miles Historical Cemetery – Racecourse Road Cemetery The Miles Historical Cemetery is also known as Racecourse Road Cemetery and was established in c.1911 after concerns were expressed about the flood prone cemetery at Dogwood Creek. For several years it is apparent both were in concurrent operation. This cemetery contains burials between at least 1911 and 1970 and contains two extensive family plots, one of which is called the ‘Blackley Private Cemetery‘. Due to the rocky ground and difficulties experienced digging the graves; this cemetery was closed to new burials with the new Miles Cemetery opening in c.1919. Only two sections of the site show marked graves; a narrow rectangular area in the east along Racecourse Road and a small portion on the northwest corner with access from Hookswood Road. An interpretive panel inside the fence provides information about the cemetery including symbolism and stonemasons represented. Grave surrounds include concrete borders, some with decorative elements and metal piping and wrought iron fencing. Headstones include mounted tablets, stelae and crossed, some mounted on tiered base, and also more elaborate monuments. It is fair to assume that this section of the cemetery contains a number of unmarked graves. The northwest section, also referred to as ‘Blackley Private Cemetery‘, has graves arranged in a row along the fence line and features concrete and marble surrounds and plates, some with ornamentation. Headstones include desk mounted tablets and stelae featuring granite and black marble. There are two elaborate monuments; one consisting of a cylindrical shaped pedestal surmounted by columns supporting a cone shaped roof topped with a Celtic cross. The second monument comprises a large rectangular pedestal surmounted by a horse figure. The Miles Historical Cemetery is no longer open for interments. Miles Cemetery The Miles Cemetery was managed by the Maguire Family until late 1960’s or 1970’s, when the Murilla Shire Council took over its management. The cemetery incorporates a monumental and lawn section with a columbarium wall for cremated ashes. The monumental section is divided into four portions – Anglican, Catholic, Presbyterian and Methodist, Lutheran and Multi-Denominational. Inscriptions dating from 1912 have been identified in the cemetery while one earlier headstone, dated 1899, was probably relocated here from the old cemetery. There are a significant number of unmarked graves at the site. There is a wide variety of grave ornaments reflecting funerary customs from the 1910’s (with some headstones likely to have been moved here from the second cemetery) until the present day. Grave surrounds are predominantly concrete borders, some with decorative elements. Headstones include mounted tablets, stelae and crosses, some on tiered base. The lawn section dates from the 1950s. It contains almost 400 sites with plenty of room for expansion. A columbarium wall displays plaques from the 1960s. The Miles Cemetery is open for interments. Condamine Cemetery The Condamine Cemetery was established around the time of rapid expansion of the town, from the mid-1850’s through to the mid-1860’s. The Cemetery has a monumental section and a section with rows divided by concrete strip. The oldest inscribed headstone is dated 1875, although a newspaper report states a burial in the ‘new’ cemetery on 25 May 1864. It is fair to assume there are a significant number of unmarked graves at the site. Wrought iron fencing and concrete borders are the predominant grave surrounds. Headstones include stelae in a variety of styles, mounted tablets and crosses. The monumental section is no longer open to new interments. The section established in the 1900’s, has a concrete strip dividing rows, and shows inscriptions dating from 1916 to present day. This section is open to new interments. The Condamine Cemetery is open for interments. Condamine Pioneer Cemetery It is unknown how many burials are in this cemetery and it is assumed the burials were mostly prior to 1964. There is a monument in the park naming some of those buried there. The Condamine Pioneer Cemetery is no longer open to new interments. Wandoan Cemetery The Wandoan Cemetery was established in 1960, this perfectly encapsulates the enormous impact the influx of soldier settlers had on the town’s population from the mid-1950’s. Its size and scale, and general appearance relative to the original reserve, illustrates the development of Wandoan over the course of the twentieth century. The cemetery is located in pastoral land on the western side of the Leichhardt Highway approximately six kilometres northwest from the business centre of town. Wandoan Cemetery is a monumental cemetery originally divided into a Roman Catholic section and Protestant section, however, this is no longer strictly adhered to with the newest section being multi-denominational. The graves are arranged in rows and most sites are surrounded by a concrete border and covered by a concrete plate, some decorated with tiles and gravel. Headstones include desk mounted tablets and stelae of a variety of styles and material, including sandstone and marble. There are some timber crosses. The recent establishment of the second Wandoan Cemetery in 1960 is reflected in the style of the grave ornamentation. This Cemetery has two sandstone columbarium walls for the interment of cremated ashes. The Wandoan Cemetery is open for interments. Wandoan Historic Cemetery It is believed that the cemetery is located in the original town cemetery reserve. There is little information about the burials; it is believed that there are at least three grave sites, including that of a railway ganger killed in 1913 when the railway was laid from Miles to Juandah. The reserve – and its use – undoubtedly dates to the survey of the town. Two dates have been provided in research undertaken, it is likely therefore that the cemetery dates sometime after 1902, or 1913. Either of these dates reflect the slow growth of settlement in the region and the impact of the railway. The cemetery is located in bushland north of the town with access from Golf Club Road and the unsealed Arnold Street and has an interpretation panel which provides some information about some of the people buried here. Three gravesites are marked by metal pipe surrounds. It can reasonably be assumed that the cemetery contains unmarked graves. The Wandoan Historic Cemetery is no longer open to interments. Downfall Creek Cemetery Downfall Creek Cemetery is situated within the grounds of the St Johns Downfall Creek Lutheran Church Guluguba, which was built in 1931. For further information contact: St John’s Lutheran Church – (07) 4662 7175 The Downfall Creek Cemetery is no longer open for interments.